I can't believe how fast April is becoming the past. While seeds in my garden have been busy sprouting, I've been working on some collages that will be hanging at Alchemy next month. (The opening is May 6, 7pm!) Most of them were finished or mostly finished when I moved to Salt Lake, but I started a new one on 20 x 36 cradled wood panel. I love the way it turned out.
I needed some texture and depth, so I added rolled strips of paper. Looking forward to using this on future work.
This piece was mostly finished, but the pink in the background was a little distracting and overwhelming, maybe the yellow, too. The umbrella corpses speak for themselves, so I do not want them to get lost or obscured. Adding the dots in various shades of green solved the problem. I fixed the spring situation, too. Now the umbrella corpse image is mounted on four fat springs instead of one thin spring. Stabilizing.
One of my favorites. Somehow, the dots anchor the larger circles. Before the circles were just sort of floating. A dot placed at each red strip intersection unifies the whole piece. How lucky to have the photo laying around, the colors work perfectly. (Years ago there was an exhibit following the March 11 Tsunami. I took a photo of several framed artifacts with soft focus, a happy accident. I wanted to use it for something, it finally found a place.)
I have 36 total to hang. 23 of those are 5 x 5 images mounted on 5 x 5 panels with collage around the cradled edges. The remaining 13 vary: 6 x 6, 8 x 8, 10 x 10. Can't wait to see them together on the wall, and the party of course will be fun.